Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A NOTE OF THANKS

I went to the Cystic Fibrosis Memorial Banquet.
I saw a lot of friends,
Also people I hardly knew.
I did not have a ticket, nor did I leave a donation.
I didn’t share any stories or bring up old times.
I saw smiles and tears,
As I started to smile, a tear rolled off my cheek.
I heard derby stories from a distance.
The water hose in Davenport, that one was good.
I did not talk to anyone,
Nor did I shake anyone’s hand.
I touched each of you on the shoulder,
Before I took my seat at the head table.
You may have noticed... as my hands were cold.
Boy, that was a lot of pictures.
But I reckon that is only half…
…Of what my mom took.
Just a letter of thanks….
…‘Til we meet again,
I miss you all… Little Man

April 2004

1 comment:

Dollar Kidd said...

Our home town High School senior Class of 2004, put on a very nice banquet in memory of my brother. A meal and door prizes, and slide show of pictures throughout his life. The money was donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Reasearch Team. I wrote this the night before and left in at the head table for those who made the night possible. I never heard anything more about it. Not even sure if anyone saw it.
So far anyone who has read it has wiped a tear. This is probably one of the best if not the best I have ever wrote.
Little Man is my brother, the memorial banquet was in his memory.

TDK